Tuesday, February 3, 2009

The Best in Canadian Music

I work in the music industry so I do my best to support homegrown acts. The JUNO nominations (the Canadian version of the Grammys - picture smaller budget and no Hollywood drama) were announced this morning. More well-known (and expected) nominees include Nickelback, Céline Dion, Simple Plan, Feist, Michael Bublé.

One of my new favourite Canadian artists is also nominated, Kreesha Turner. I love her single 'Bounce with Me' - I'm sure you've heard it, it's been played on The Hills, Desperate Housewives, Gossip Girl. If you're looking for a R&B/Soul sound (Rihanna meets Duffy), you're going to enjoy Kreesha Turner.


Another Canadian act that I'm a fan of, and who is also nominated for a JUNO is Tokyo Police Club. The band is up for Best Group of The Year. Check out the video for their hit single 'Nature of the Experiment' here.




I should mention that electronic/experimental Toronto-based duo, Crystal Castles is also nominated since the BF quite enjoys them (and I frequently remind him them they're Canadian). Check out their MySpace page the next time you need a precursor to a night of club hopping and debauchery.




The JUNOS take place Sunday, March 29 in Vancouver with Russell Peters hosting. Sarah Mclachlan, Simple Plan, among others (to be announced over the next month or so), are slated to perform. For more info. check out www.ctv.ca/mini/junos2009/.

No comments:

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin