Saturday, April 18, 2009

My Two Pet Peeves

I'm sure if you asked the BF what my pet peeves are, he'd give you more than 2. ;) However, the 2 that stick out in my mind are:

1. Movie Poster Book Covers

Let me explain by showing an example:

Images via Hachette Book Group

Don't get me wrong, I loved the movie (who didn't really) but why did they have to change the original cover?! I know, I know, it's about publicity and promotion. I'm sure there are numbers that show that sales of the movie poster version are greater than the original cover version during the movie's theatrical run (and afterward). However, I will always buy the original cover version.

2. When a Couple Chooses a Sad Love Song as 'Their Song' (or their First Dance)

My lovely sister loves, loves the song 'Iris' by the Goo Goo Dolls. I agree, great song. She chose it for her 'first dance' at her wedding, despite the fact I told her it's the opposite of 'happy-I love you-want-to-be-with-you-forever-we're-going-to-be-happy-forever' feeling that a first dance should evoke.

To refresh your memories, here's the video for Iris:


Watch more Dizzy Up the Girl videos on AOL Video


And here are a couple of verses of lyrics from Iris:

And I don´t want the world to see me
´Cause I don´t think that they´d understand
When everything´s made to be broken
I just want you to know who I am

And you can´t fight the tears that ain´t coming
Or the moments of truth in your lies
When everything feels like the movies
And you bleed just to know you´re alive.

Fight the tears? When everything's made to be broken? Sorry, not phrases I want to hear on my wedding day, or to symbolize 'our love.'

Other sad songs that fit into this category:

Every Breath You Take - The Police
Smoke Get Into Your Eyes - Various Artists
I'll Be (Your Crying Shoulder) - Edwin McCain
I Will Always Love You - Whitney Houston
One - U2
Bed of Roses -Bon Jovi
Unchained Melody - Righteous Brothers

*If one of these is 'your song' or your 'first dance' song, my apologies, I didn't meant to offend. Ignore my ramblings. After all its YOUR song/day, not mine. :)



6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've been to 3 weddings where 'Bed of Roses' is the wedding dance song. I've never actually listened to the words so I find it romantic, lol. And I totally agree with you about book covers. My sister got me the Other Boleyn Girl last year with Scarlet Johansen and Natalie Portman (?) on the cover, and I exchanged it for a cuter version, lol.
http://fab.typepad.com

Amanda (vintageglamblog.com) said...

I couldn't agree more with you. I don't understand when brides pick "Beautiful Day" by U2 - the lyrics are about awful things!

Krista said...

I agree - the first song should be happy. Or at least happy-ish.

Brandy said...

Agree on both counts!
I don't think enough people listen to the actualy lyrics of the song and think "ohh that sounds romantic" like "I will always Love you" the title says it right?? So the song must be about that! But no it's about breaking up and not being able to be with the one you love!! Also add to the list "Today" by Smashing Pumpkins...

Karen said...

I just discovered your blog and I totally agree on the book cover thing! It was a book before movie!

Regarding the song, I agree, but I somewhat changed my mind when my fiance and I started going through "our songs" that really meant something to our relationship. THe words weren't right for a wedding first dance, but I preferred these songs to choosing a song that has never had a meaning to us just because of the lyrics.

On that note, it didn't matter in the end, because we chose a song that is one of "ours" but is instrumental only :)

The Professional Bridesmaid said...

Karen - I think you're on to something! It never occurred to me use instrumental version of a favourite song (especially since most people love the chorus/melody). Great idea. Thanks for stopping by!

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin